21 January 2010

Funemployment 101


I really need to give the nod to my friend Chris for the term "funemployment." After getting laid off and having a (mild, ahem) freak out a few days post kiss-off, the idea of making this process fun seemed like exactly what I need to do. Or at least, what I'm going to do until my bank account completely runs dry and I have to go all Breaking Bad on my life. I kid, I'm terrible at chemistry.

So here's my deal:

My name is Courtney. I'm 25, soon to be 26. I live with my totally awesome, completely insane, very understanding, and always well-meaning parents (Ellen and Greg) in the house I grew up in. I have a Bachelor's in Communications from a small, conservative college in the northeastern US that shall remain nameless, and an MA in Human Rights from one of the best universities in the world. I have drive, creativity, a filthy mouth, terrific vocabulary, and I'm bloody unemployed. It's frustrating, insulting, and embarrassing to be unemployed. Anyone who has ever been here, and I've only been here for a little over a week, will tell you that. It fucking sucks.

So, aside from the somewhat humbling experiences of filing for unemployment, sitting in my pajamas until 3 p.m. on a Thursday, and trying to figure out what the hell to do next, I'm working on enjoying myself a little. My friends, Bob bless 'em, are more than willing to help. And that's how I ended up going to the shooting range last night, shooting a Colt .45 (I have been told it's a Colt 1911, which shoots .45s, but is not actually a Colt .45 which is a revolver), and then proceeding on to a drag show at a gay club until the wee hours of the morning. But that's a tale for another day.

Photo, courtesy of AMC, of Bryan Cranston as Walter White. If you don't watch Breaking Bad, I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. You better not be draining your move-to-Salt Lake City-fund on drag queens and guns. Get yo' shit in gear lady and get out here! And let me remind you- sometimes having a job is more embarrassing than being unemployed, depending on the job of course. Take Chuck E Cheese for example, or better yet, Chuck-O-Rama

    ReplyDelete